September 8, 2010

My View On Clothes

source

I really really enjoy styling when it comes to fashion. I told Jasha, the Hubs, I was going to incorporate more fashion into my blog
& I know him very well, so I already knew what face he would give me...
Let me tell you... The Hubs doesn't care two cents about fashion, so most of the time I dress him.
He of course voiced his concern to me that while he knows I have a good mindset when it comes to dressing I should probably express what I think on here.

(NOTE: These are all my personal viewpoints, and I don't intend to offend anyone with anything I say)

I think for the most part people dress to be noticed, and unfortunately I think our culture has taken this to a very dark place. A few years back, I was young and definitely pushed some barriers when it came to what I wore... whether my top was too low, or my stomach showed too much... I didn't care. & Oh yes, I argued it was not fair that girls couldn't wear two pieces at our youth retreats.

Now that I am older, married, and been in church classes with other newlyweds I feel I have a clearer understanding on lust, and how men battle it. Our culture, of course, does nothing to help them at all... It is all about sex, sex, sex (& not in the way that I believe it should be portrayed)
 Then boys show girls they will be noticed if they dress more in align with the culture, & so they do & its a vicious cycle. I think this is an issue because I firmly believe lust can be a killer to true love, which I believe is pure in it's real essence.

Now when I get dressed in the morning I think "Would I want Josh to be around a girl all day who is wearing this outfit?" & I really try to dress modestly, and mature while still being fashion forward.

Lately I've been meditating on 1 Peter 3:3-4 which states: 
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.




In the end, I just don't want my clothes or fashion to ever be an idol.
(An idol is anything that takes your love & devotion from the Lord)
My love is the Lord, and I want to dress in way that I feel God would think is appropriate, in a way which honors my husband, AND in a way which still expresses my individual style...
Which I feel is all very doable.

With that all said here is another outfit I put together for the fall:
(I usually wear little slips under my dresses, my most recent purchase for one was here)


I hope you all like it!


7 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I didn't really understand this concept until I was married, too. Marriage is such a sacred, beautiful thing-- and I want to protect myself and my husband. I totally think that true beauty starts in the inside and works its way out. A truly beautiful woman inspires purity and when married inspires an intimacy in marriage.

    And i totally think- with all this in mind- can still be really cute! I think when a woman is comfortable in her own, she doesn't feel like she must show tons of skin in order to be noticed. The media is so messed up... that's why, for the most part I try not to read mainstream fashion magazines because I feel like they send a really negative message to women that we are only worthy if we are sex icons. And it is true that we are sexual beings, God created us that way- but he created us that way to have such great intimacy with our spouses. Otherwise its just cheap.

    Anyway... thank you for your post! You are a beautiful woman- inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said as well... Thanks Mandy! I also try not to read mainstream media ha we dont even go to movies, own a tv, or listen to most music (expect for some indie exceptions)... It really just hurts my heart to witness how women are portrayed, and more so how the media effects real girls. I go to UT in Austin with 50,000 other students and I see a lot of this degrading of women (by both sexes) on campus.

    AND Amen! We are created to be sexual beings for sure, and the way God wants sex to be for us is a MILLION times better than anything else.. Im sure.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love your Blog.. and that Header is so awesome. Thanks for Following me. Hope you don't mind me joining your lovely place?♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe thank you so very much! I dont mind one little bit :) I followed you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up in a Christian home modesty was a must. My mom would make me do the 3 B checks (boobs, belly and butt)in the dressing room. She would have me bend over, sit down, raise my hands above my head, check the hemline to fingertip ratio..etc. It drove me crazy. However looking back I am so thankful. I now do these on my own and I am actually more strict about it than my mom was. I want to protect my husband heart as well as the other men out there. I really appreciate when other women think about dressing modestly as well.

    BTW I love your blog. I found you through Mandy at She breathes deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! I've never heard of the 3 B check, but I think it makes perfect sense! And I loved what you said about protecting your husband's heart, as well as other men!

    My husband was actually an atheist in college, and he wouldn't mind me saying he once had a wordly view on sex, and our culture, now he just appreciates it so much when I tell him how others I know hold modesty in high regard as well!

    Thanks so much for writing, continue to leave feedback & Ill check out your blog as well!

    & Mandy is awesome! She wrote the first comment on this post which I thought was awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized I said earlier I don't listen to most music, I meant mainstream... I def listen to A LOT OF Music.

    In fact, for our one year I bought tickets for Josh and myself to see Sufjan Stevens.

    (I just wanted to correct myself)

    ReplyDelete